George turned around to find that the stranger had returned. “Where’d you come from? I thought you left?” “I have been here. I have always been here,” said the stranger.
“You say you don’t celebrate Christmas. Why?”
“Well, after my wife passed away I just couldn’t see what all the bother was. Puttin’ up a tree and all seemed a waste of a good pine tree. Bakin’ cookies like I used to with Martha just wasn’t the same by myself and besides I was getting a little chubby.”
The stranger put his hand on George’s shoulder. “But you do celebrate the holiday, George.
- You gave me food and drink and warmed me when I was cold and hungry.
- The woman with child will bear a son and he will become a great doctor.
- The policeman you helped will go on to save 19 people from being killed by terrorists.
- The young man who tried to rob you will make you a rich man and not take any for himself.
That is the spirit of the season and you keep it as good as any man.”
George was taken aback by all this stranger had said.
“And how do you know all this?” asked the old man.
“Trust me, George. I have the inside track on this sort of thing. And when your days are done you will be with Martha again.” The stranger moved toward the door.
“If you will excuse me, George, I have to go now. I have to go home where there is a big celebration planned.” George watched as the old leather jacket and the torn pants that the stranger was wearing turned into a white robe.
A golden light began to fill the room. “You see, George… it’s my birthday. Merry Christmas.” George fell to his knees and replied,
“What you do today, right now, will have an accumulated effect on all your tomorrows.”
Author: Known To God
This concludes our 9-day walk through the true meaning of Christmas. I pray it struck a chord with you and you have discovered within yourself a way to demonstrate the giving spirit. If you are so inclined leave a comment below.
If you have missed any part of the story you can catch the daily offerings by following one of the links below:
- Introduction to The True Meaning of Christmas
- A Christmas Encounter – Day 1
- Family in Need Meets George – Day 2
- Random Act of Kindness – Day 3
- Gunshots Ring Out – Day 4
- Robbery Gone Bad – Day 5
- Desperate for Money – Day 6
- Remorse and Forgiveness – Day 7
- Giving Spirit – The Diamond Ring – Day 8
- Jesus tells George “It is My Birthday” – Day 9